Tuesday, February 3, 2009



Sensei Haydn Williams– Teacher Profile

Sensei Haydn is a teacher of great skill and knowledge, that runs the Kellyville dojo at Sherwood Ridge Public. A soft and gentle teacher, yet strong and powerful, who loves discipline. He follows tradition karate-do to the ‘T’. He loves sparing and finds kata extremely challenging, yet seems satisfied and fulfilled in its complete understanding. He is a great representative of Goshin kan and loves the system. A terrific family man and gets on well with everyone including the teachers and students of Goshin kan. He treats everyone alike be it senior or junior. He has a wealth of knowledge of traditional karate, yet never ever feels he knows enough. He is like the student that has the philosophy that a cup will never be filled if it not empty to start with. He is always happy to share what he understands and loves making an extra effort in assisting those in need. He believes that Good Service is ones Duty.

Kancho Deena Naidu


My Profile: Sensei Haydn Williams

Training History:

I looked long and far for a good Karate school. Eventually I was recommended to visit Goshin Kan by one of their students. I was told to walk into the Dojo and see Sensei Donald (now Shihan Donald) at the desk, and ask him about what I wanted to know. I remember looking into the Dojo and being awestruck. There were so many fearsome looking instructors and students. I cautiously entered the Dojo and approached Sensei Donald.

Sensei Donald said I should “take you shoes off, get in line, and copy everyone else!”, naturally I did as I was told.

I found that I really enjoyed the lesson, and joined up straight away. After I bought my Gi, I remember Kancho tying my belt for the first time, he told me “Welcome to the Club” smiled and shook my hand. I have been training hard ever since!

Like everyone else I began as a white belt, and being a bit dare I say older than the average student, I found learning Karate very difficult. To me it always felt like it took me a long time to grasp the physical and mental aspects of our art. Of course everyone feels like this when we start learning something new. I’m not sure how many of you realise that even the Sensei’s sometimes find Karate difficult. Yes it is, but nothing worth doing ever comes easy. Remember that!

Belief and purpose of karate do:

Karate is not a sport. Sport has winners and losers. In Goshin Kan Karate, we have only winners!
Our Karate is a traditional art, traditional means that we follow the ways and means of our ancestors. The Masters of years gone by did not use Karate for sport. It was passed down, usually father to son, for their self defense and personal development.

In sport, the aim is to defeat your opponent, so you bask in the glory of victory. Of course the only thing that develops with this is the size of your ego. Or resentment of being beaten.

In Karate-do (the art of Karate) we aim to help and train our students. The greatest reward for a teacher is to see our karate-ka (karate students) learning and developing their art properly. When our students are outside the Dojo, they are happy, confident and honorable. That is the victory of your teachers. That is the true meaning of Karate.

My favourite Kata:

My favorite Kata is Seisan. It’s a difficult and complex Kata, but it contains many powerful techniques. These techniques make traditional Karate different from sport karate. They are simply too dangerous to be used in sport.

These techniques give awesome power to a smaller person who is defending themselves. They are ideal for female Karate-ka, as they can use these techniques to defend themselves from male attackers. Or for junior students against adult attackers.

When you are taught Seisan or any other Kata, remember our ancestors have passed on a message through your Kata. All of our Kata start with a block, this means karate do, the way of karate is only for defence.

Remember… “There is no first move in Karate”.

My favourite Technique:

Is the double punch, where the first punch aims for the head, and the second aims for the Solar Plexus. This is a simple but effective technique, where the first strike is actually a mock attack, where your opponent is loured to block and focus on your first strike to the upper part of their body (Jodan) , only to struck by your strong second strike to their middle section (Chudan).

This effective technique should temporarily disable your attacker, but is unlikely to damage them. They will have a valuable lesson in that their aggression was a foolish act, and you will have defended yourself.

In a way you have both come out as winners!